Two-Column Notes for Informational Texts – This strategy helps students organize informational texts.
- The teacher makes a transparency of a passage to be read.
- The students take a piece of paper and fold it in half. The left column is labeled Key Words or Main Idea. The right column is labeled Elaborations.
- The students write the key words or main idea in the left column as they read the passage.
- The students elaborate on the key words or main idea in the right column.
- Once completed, the students can use the two-column notes to test themselves.
Lapp, D., Flood, J., & Farnan, N. Content area reading and learning: Instructional strategies. Needham Heights, MA: Allyn & Bacon. 1989.