|Home > Florida Then & Now > A Short History of Florida > Pánfilo de Narváez and Nunez de Cabeza de Vaca|
PŠnfilo de NarvŠez and Nuñez de Cabeza de Vaca
- The students will be able to identify the route that NarvŠez and de Vaca sailed, and the mishaps that occurred during their exploration of Florida.
Sunshine State Standards Benchmarks:SS.A.1.2.1 - SS.A.2.2.3 - SS.A.3.2.4 - SS.A.4.2.1 - SS.A.6.2.3 - SS.B.1.2.1
peninsula harbor rations barges fragile capsize viceroy
- Have the students illustrate each of the vocabulary words.
- Have the students create mini barges using sticks and cloth.
- Have the students complete a plot diagram based on the expedition of PŠnfilo de NarvŠez.
- Have the students pretend that they are PŠnfilo de NarvŠez. Make a journal with entries detailing his expedition through Florida. The journals should contain a mixture of facts, thoughts, and feelings.
- Have the students determine how many miles it is from Tallahassee to Mexico City (the route that de Vaca and the other few survivors walked).
- Complete and review FCAT questions.
(Note: Actual FCAT practice passages are wrtten at the students' independent reading level. These Florida History selections are written at the students' instructional reading level. Therefore, students should not be asked to complete the questions until after receiving class instruction on the vocabulary and content of the passage. Students should also read the Florida History selection independently before answering the FCAT questions and be permited to return to the selection for rereading as they answer.)
|Home > Florida Then & Now > A Short History of Florida > NarvŠez Lesson|
Florida: A Social Studies Resource for Students and Teachers
Produced by the Florida Center for Instructional Technology,
College of Education, University of South Florida © 2002.