|Home > Photos > Cities > St. Augustine > St. Augustine, I|
Click on a thumbnail photo to view the full picture.
Sign on the city gates. "This gate, opened in 1739, provided the only access through the defense line on the north side of Spanish St. Augustine. Royal engineer Manuel de Hita built these coquina pillars in 1808."
The Dr. Peck House sign. "The stone walls of this building were part of a house owned by the Royal Treasurer late in the First Spanish Period. During the British Period it served for a time as the home of Governor John Moultrie. In 1837 Dr. Seth S. Peck purchased the house and rebuilt it using the old walls and adding the frame second-story. It remained in the Peck family until willed to the City in 1931. A generous grant from the Flagler Foundation permitted extensive restoration in 1968."
Ponce de León Hotel. "This magnificent structure was erected between 1885 and 1887 by Henry M. Flagler, the hotel and railroad magnate whose activities contributed greatly to the development of Florida's eastern coastal area. Designed by the New York architectural firm of Carrere and Hastings, the building reflects the Spanish Renaissance style throughout. The hotel was the first major edifice in the United States to be constructed of poured concrete, a mixture of cement, sand, and coquina shell. The interior is decorated with imported marble, carved oak, and murals painted by Tojetti and George W. Maynard. Its stained glass windows were created by Louis Tiffany of New York. Ponce de León Hotel was the flagship of the Flagler hotel system, which soon extended all along the east coast of Florida. Located in the 'Winter Newport,' this resort hotel entertained celebrities from around the world, including several U.S. Presidents. During World War II, the hotel served as a Coast Guard Training Center. In 1968, this historic landmark was converted into Flagler College, an accredited liberal arts institution. Independent and coeducational, the college serves students from across the nation."
Historical marker. "Prisoners of War in St. Augustine During the American Revolution. From the onset of the American Revolution in 1775, the British Crown Colony in East Florida was a Loyalist bastion. In its capital, St. Augustine, the British lodged as prisoners many American Patriots and their French allies. Most of these prisoners were given the liberty of the town, but some were held in Castillo de San Marcos. A few captives rented quarters, but most of the men were housed in the unfinished State House, which stood near his spot. By the end of 1780, these prisoners included three signers of the Declaration of Independence--Thomas Heyward, Jr., Arthur Middleton, and Edward Rutledge. On July 4, 1781 the Patriot captives celebrated Independence Day."
|Home > Photos > Cities > St. Augustine > St. Augustine|
Florida: A Social Studies Resource for Students and Teachers
Produced by the Florida Center for Instructional Technology,
College of Education, University of South Florida © 2004.