- Description: Banyan Tree. The banyan tree gets its name from the Indian word, “banias,” which means “trader.” Merchants and traders used to meet under the banyan tree because of the shade it provided.
- Keywords: tree, banyan tree, aerial roots, root, Kampong Garden
- TIFF File: A high resolution TIFF of Banyan Tree (7.1 Mb) is available for download. This is a very large file suitable for printing. For most on-screen purposes, you should use the image displayed on this page instead of this TIFF.
- Source: Florida Center for Instructional Technology, Exploring Florida: Social Studies Resources
for Students and Teachers (Tampa, FL: University of South Florida, 2009)
- County: Miami-Dade
- Date of Photo: 5/28/2008
- Photographer: Roy Winkelman