- Description: Butia capitata, or more commonly known as a "jelly palm." Butia is a species of nine tree types, which are native to Brazil, Paraguay, Uruguay, and Argentina. The Jelly Palm is also called wine palm or pindo palm. It is characterized by its feather palm fronds. It is actually the hardiest feather palm tree and is able to survive freezing temperatures of around -10 degrees Celsius.
- Keywords: tree, palm tree, jelly palm, frond, Maclay Gardens
- TIFF File: A high resolution TIFF of Jelly Palm (28.9 Mb) is available for download. This is a very large file suitable for printing. For most on-screen purposes, you should use the image displayed on this page instead of this TIFF.
- Source: Florida Center for Instructional Technology, Exploring Florida: Social Studies Resources
for Students and Teachers (Tampa, FL: University of South Florida, 2009)
- Date of Photo: 4/1/2007
- Photographer: Roy Winkelman