- Description: Top of a mushroom. A mushroom is a fungus that bears spores and consists of a cap, pictured here, a stem, and gills underneath the cap. There are around 14,000 species of mushrooms that are both poisonous and edible. Edible mushrooms are very popular in food, but some poisonous mushrooms can cause death if consumed. One should never eat a wild mushroom unless a professional has confirmed its identity. Some mushrooms are being considered for medicinal purposes and others can be used to create dye.
- Keywords: mushroom, fungi, tree, Maclay Gardens
- TIFF File: A high resolution TIFF of Mushroom (57.7 Mb) is available for download. This is a very large file suitable for printing. For most on-screen purposes, you should use the image displayed on this page instead of this TIFF.
- Source: Florida Center for Instructional Technology, Exploring Florida: Social Studies Resources
for Students and Teachers (Tampa, FL: University of South Florida, 2009)
- Date of Photo: 4/1/2007
- Photographer: Roy Winkelman