- Description: View of a cloister in the monastery. Notice the vaulted ceilings and other romanesque architectural features along the cloister and throughout the monastery. Romanesque, or Nordic, architecture predated gothic architecture by a couple centuries beoming popular around the tenth century. It consisted of thick walls, round arches, groin vaults, towers, and arcading. It has also been described as being symplistic in design.
- Keywords: cloister, architecture, vaulted ceiling, stone, arch, Ancient Spanish Monastery, St. Bernard de Clairvaux Church, monastery
- TIFF File: A high resolution TIFF of Romanesque Cloister (25.9 Mb) is available for download. This is a very large file suitable for printing. For most on-screen purposes, you should use the image displayed on this page instead of this TIFF.
- Source: Florida Center for Instructional Technology, Exploring Florida: Social Studies Resources
for Students and Teachers (Tampa, FL: University of South Florida, 2009)
- County: Miami-Dade
- Date of Photo: 7/31/2007
- Photographer: Roy Winkelman