- Description: View of a cloister in the Ancient Spanish Monastery. The Cistercian monks that originally occupied the monastery believed that they should live according to the Rule of St. Benedict. The basic ideals of St. Benedict's Rule are peace, prayer, and work. Because the rules created by the abbot St. Benedict were so influential, he has become known as, “the founder of western Christian monasticism.” Monasticism is the term used for living within religious communities such as a monastery.
- Keywords: cloister, architecture, column, stone, arch, Ancient Spanish Monastery, St. Bernard de Clairvaux Church, monastery
- TIFF File: A high resolution TIFF of Cloister (28.9 Mb) is available for download. This is a very large file suitable for printing. For most on-screen purposes, you should use the image displayed on this page instead of this TIFF.
- Source: Florida Center for Instructional Technology, Exploring Florida: Social Studies Resources
for Students and Teachers (Tampa, FL: University of South Florida, 2009)
- County: Miami-Dade
- Date of Photo: 7/31/2007
- Photographer: Roy Winkelman