Historical Marker dedicated to Lt. Col. Frank S. Adamo, M.D.
- Description: This historical marker reads: "Lt. Col. Frank S. Adamo, M.D.: Bataan's Medical Hero. This distinguished native Tampan served with courage, honor and personal sacrifice as an army surgeon during World War II. He was captured and made a prisoner of war when the Japanese overran the Philippines. Afflicted with Beri-Beri and other diseases he performed heroically serving his comrades as doctor, friend and lifesaver. Dr. Adamo discovered a revolutionary method in the treatment of gangrene using hydrogen peroxide and saved thousands of gangrenous limbs. A grateful nation decorated him with the medal of the Legion of Merit. When he returned home he found that First Avenue, a major thoroughfare, had been named Frank S. Adamo Drive in his honor." (Tampa Historical Society)
- Keywords: Lt. Col. Frank S. Adamo, M.D., historical marker, downtown, Tampa, Florida, historical marker
- TIFF File: A high resolution TIFF of Historical Marker dedicated to Lt. Col. Frank S. Adamo, M.D. (22.1 Mb) is available for download. This is a very large file suitable for printing. For most on-screen purposes, you should use the image displayed on this page instead of this TIFF.
- Source: Florida Center for Instructional Technology, Exploring Florida: Social Studies Resources
for Students and Teachers (Tampa, FL: University of South Florida, 2009)
- County: Hillsborough
- Date of Photo: 1/7/2006
- Photographer: Roy Winkelman