of a historical marker that reads, "The Royal Poinciana Hotel, built by
Henry M. Flagler, was opened February 11, 1894. One of the largest wooden
structures in the world at the time, the hotel cost over $1 million. Its
rooms accommodated 2000 guests and its dining room seated 1600. The sprawling
six story structure, painted yellow and white, faced Lake Worth and was
surrounded by gardens. The hotel was in use until the 1929-1930 season.
It was demolished in 1936."
|Photo credit: The Florida Center for Instructional Technology, University of South Florida
Florida: Social Studies Resources for Students and Teachers
Produced by the Florida Center for Instructional
College of Education, University of South Florida © 2002.