The city gates lead to the old town via George Street. According to a sign on the gates, "This gate, opened in 1739, provided the only access through the defense line on the north side of Spanish St. Augustine. Royal engineer Manuel de Hita built these coquina pillars in 1808."
|Photo credit: St. Augustine: Views of the Old Florida City in Photo-Gravure, 1902
Florida: Social Studies Resources for Students and Teachers
Produced by the Florida Center for Instructional
College of Education, University of South Florida © 2004.