Sign marking the location of the first Spanish fort where the Wakulla and St. Marks rivers meet. "This is the site of the original Spanish fortifications. The first fort was a flimsy wooden fort started in 1678 and completed in 1679. The second fort also of wood was built in 1718 on this site. A hurricane flooded this fort in 1758 and forty men were drowned. The effects of this hurricane required a new start on the construction of the stone fort."
|Photo credit: The Florida Center for Instructional Technology, University of South Florida
Florida: A Social Studies Resource for Students and Teachers
Produced by the Florida Center for Instructional
College of Education, University of South Florida © 2002.