These are the stone foundations of the Spanish bombproof begun in the 1750s. The bombproof was a series of four arched rooms with strong doors to protect men and supplies during an attack. The roof was used as a firing position for soldiers who defended the fort's north wall. The limestone walls were used to construct the Marine Hospital and a lighthouse around 1857.
Florida: A Social Studies Resource for Students and Teachers
Produced by the Florida Center for Instructional
College of Education, University of South Florida © 2002.