Zeppelin Grandstand in Nuremberg
The Zeppelin Grandstand was constructed under Albert Speer's management between 1934 and 1937. Hitler intended for the buildings at the Party Rally Grounds to stand for thousands of years, similar to the great cathedrals of the past. Four days after the fall of Nuremberg, the US Army blew up the swastika which had been installed at the center of the Grandstand. In 1967 the colonnade of the Grandstand was blown up because it had become unstable. The height of the side towers was also reduced by half in the 1970s. The photo shows all that remains of this once-impressive structure.
Photo credit: Florida Center for Instructional Technology
A Teacher's Guide to the Holocaust
Produced by the Florida Center for Instructional Technology,
College of Education, University of South Florida © 1997-2013.