Berlin. The "New Synagogue" was completed in 1866 to serve the growing liberal Jewish community in Berlin. It was heavily damaged by a bombing raid in 1943. In 1958 the decision was made to raze the building due to its supposed danger of collapse. The facade of the building was later rebuilt and opened in 1995 as the "Neue Synagoge Berlin--Centrum Judaicum."
Photo credit: Florida Center for Instructional Technology
A Teacher's Guide to the Holocaust
Produced by the Florida Center for Instructional Technology,
College of Education, University of South Florida © 1997-2013.