Columbarium. Remains of ghetto residents were interred here until the Nazis dispersed the ashes in an attempt to cover their crimes. A plaque at the site reads: In the corridors of this fortification cardboard urns containing the ashes of the dead prisoners were deposited. All the urns--actually about 25,000--were removed by the SS at the end of 1944. Most of the ashes were thrown into the River Ohre. The remaining ashes were buried near the Litomerice concentration camp.
Photo credit: Florida Center for Instructional Technology
A Teacher's Guide to the Holocaust
Produced by the Florida Center for Instructional Technology,
College of Education, University of South Florida © 1997-2013.