Letter of Memorial
Subject: Foreign Language
Grade Levels: 3 through 12
- to practice reading and writing skills in a foreign language
- to write a letter in memory of victims or asking that readers remember the lessons of the Holocaust.
Sunshine State Standards:
View all Sunshine State Standards
- Grades 3-5
- FL.A.2.2.5, 3.2.2
- Grades 6-8
- FL.A.1.3.2, 2.3.1, 2.4.3, 3.3.1
- Grades 9-12
- FL.A.1.4.1, 2.4.2, 3.4.1
- Paper, envelopes, and stamps for letter-writing
- Obtain the addresses of newspapers published in the language of the class. Use the Resource list below.
- After learning about the Holocaust, students write a letter to a newspaper in the foreign language in memory of victims, or asking that readers remember the lessons of the Holocaust.
- Have students critique letters within the class before mailing them.
- Check the newspaper or its Web site to monitor the publishing of the letters and responses from readers.
- Letters may be e-mailed to newspapers.
Newspapers Online, by country
Worldwide News index of newspapers of the world
A Teacher's Guide to the Holocaust
Produced by the Florida Center for Instructional Technology,
College of Education, University of South Florida © 1997-2013.