Berlin Holocaust Memorials
Adass Yisroel, the modern orthodox Jewish Community in Berlin, was founded in 1869. Dr. Esriel Hildeseimer served as its first Rabbi. On the Jewish New Year 5685 (1924), a school and a synagogue were officially dedicated at this location, 11, Siegmundshof. In 1939 all of the community's institutions were destroyed by the Nazis. Its members, teachers and pupils were tortured, deported and murdered by thugs and their accomplices.
Photo credit: Florida Center for Instructional Technology
A Teacher's Guide to the Holocaust
Produced by the Florida Center for Instructional Technology,
College of Education, University of South Florida © 2005.