Levetzow Synagogue Memorial
The memorial grounds at Jagowstrasse in Berlin stands at the site of the Liberal Synagogue, Levetzowstraße, one of the largest synagogues in the city. Although unharmed in the pogroms of 1938, the building was damaged later in bombing raids. The Synagogue was used in 1941 as one of the central collection points for Jews to be deported to concentration and death camps. Up to 1000 Jews per night were taken from their homes and brought here. On the site now stands a sculpted ramp and train car before which stand a marble statue representing people huddled together. At the end of the ramp stands an obelisk with the dates of deportations inscribed.
Photo credit: Florida Center for Instructional Technology
A Teacher's Guide to the Holocaust
Produced by the Florida Center for Instructional Technology,
College of Education, University of South Florida © 2005.