Levetzow Synagogue Memorial
This is the former location of one of the largest synagogues in Berlin. In 1941, the Gestapo forced the Jewish community to convert this synagogue into a collection point for deportations. From here, more than 37,500 Jews living in Berlin were deported to the extermination camps listed on the memorial. These transports departed from the Grunewald and Putlitzstrasse train stations.
Photo credit: Florida Center for Instructional Technology
A Teacher's Guide to the Holocaust
Produced by the Florida Center for Instructional Technology,
College of Education, University of South Florida © 2005.