Collaborative Learning | Adaptation Level | Social Studies
- Students will use research skills to investigate the uses of aluminum and the importance of recycling.
- Students will use knowledge and experience to create an informative and entertaining video about about aluminum recycling.
- Students will be proficient in the use of multimedia equipment.
- Students will write script and perform dialogue.
- A parent volunteer coordinated an aluminum can recycling center in the classroom.
- The students began to study aluminum and recycling on the internet.
- Using the facts retrieved, the students came up with various situations on campus in which we dispose of aluminum that could instead be recycled.
- Students then created a story board with an aluminum character named Roger Recycle (a ruler covered with sculpted aluminum foil) that flies around campus and encounters these situations and educates children.
- Students assigned character parts to the story board and wrote script for the different scenes.
- All students were given instruction on how to use the digital video camera and tripod.
- Students not acting in a scene were assigned to be a handler of the Roger puppet, script, tripod or camera equipment.
- Scenes were shot on campus and then imported into a computer.
- Video was edited by students using the software program iMovie and narration for the Roger character was recorded.
NETS Profiles for Technology Literate Students
- Use keyboards and other common input and output devices (including adaptive devices when necessary) efficiently and effectively.
- EUse general purpose productivity tools and peripherals to support personal productivity, remediate skill deficits, and facilitate learning throughout the curriculum.
- Use technology tools (e.g., multimedia authoring, presentation, Web tools, digital cameras, scanners) for individual and collaborative writing, communication, and publishing activities to create knowledge products for audiences inside and outside the classroom.
- Digital video camera
- iMovie or MovieMaker
- Integer sed ipsum at nisl faucibus molestie.
Grade Level: 3-5