Photos: Nuremberg Nazi Party Rally GroundsClick on a thumbnail image to view the full photograph.
Party Congress Hall on Dutzendteich Lake in southeast Nuremberg. Hitler conferred upon Nuremberg the title, "City of the Party Rallies." Up to one million Party members would travel to Nuremberg for the week-long rallies. The Hall, begun in 1935, was designed by architects Ludwig and Franz Ruff. The planned height of the structure was 68.5 meters. The rounded exterior is reminiscent of the Coliseum in Rome. The Hall was designed to hold 50,000 people, but was never finished. Detail of Party Congress Hall. Detail of Party Congress Hall. Detail of Party Congress Hall. Detail of Party Congress Hall. Detail of Party Congress Hall. The Zeppelin Grandstand was constructed under Albert Speer's management between 1934 and 1937. Hitler intended for the buildings at the Party Rally Grounds to stand for thousands of years, similar to the great cathedrals of the past. Four days after the fall of Nuremberg, the US Army blew up the swastika which had been installed at the center of the Grandstand. In 1967 the colonnade of the Grandstand was blown up because it had become unstable. The height of the side towers was also reduced by half in the 1970s. The photo shows all that remains of this once-impressive structure. From this rostrum, Hitler delivered stirring speeches to thousands of party members. Today, it is used by skateboarders. The regularly spaced buildings around Zeppelin Field have also fallen into disrepair. Flags once ringed the field and great searchlights pointed into the sky created a "dome of light" for evening events.
Return to Art and Architecture
| Bibliographies | Documents | Galleries | Glossary | Maps | Movies | Museums | Music |
| Plays | Quizzes | Software | Videography | VR Movies | Web Search Engines | Web Sites |
A Teacher's Guide to the Holocaust
Produced by the Florida Center for Instructional Technology,
College of Education, University of South Florida © 2005.