Connection: Overview of the Lesson
- This lab showed that heat
is generated when iron oxide or rust is created.
- Working in small groups
gives students the opportunity to work together to accomplish a goal.
- When students are allowed
to talk about what they think will happen, excitement towards the upcoming
activity is created.
- Students take the temperature
in the jar every two minutes.
- Once the experiment is complete,
the students can remove the lid of the jar and feel the temperature
- They can also feel the moisture
that has developed inside the jar.
- They can also detect a smell
once the rust has accumulated.
- By removing the steel wool
from the jar and pulling it apart, the students can see the rust that