Studies Connection: Overview of the Lesson
Plotting a Migrant Worker's Travels
- This Social Studies lesson
utilized the book Amelia's Road by Linda Jacobs Altman and Enrique
- As the students traced Amelia's
travels, the FCAT concepts of number sense, measurement and estimation
were easily brought into the lesson.
- Using maps that were different
sizes gave students the opportunity to understand the importance of
a map scale.
- Once the locations were
plotted, the students estimated the total distance.
- Pipe cleaners were used
to measure the exact distance.
Using FCAT Skills
- The skills utilized in this
lesson are all found on the FCAT.
- These skills were reinforced
by allowing the students to become actively involved in their use.