Dance at the NYA's Camp Roosevelt: Ocala, Florida
Description: Camp Roosevelt, located in Ocala just off highway 301/441, was a resident camp first built for the Army Corps of Engineer crews of the Cross Florida Barge Canal. From 1936 to early 1938, the WPA and the University of Florida assumed ownership for providing adult education classes. Later in 1938, the National Youth Administration (NYA) used it as a girls resident camp to educate and provide job skills to young women (later boys were included). During the 1940s, the NYA conducted defense work out of it, before in 1943 it reverted back to the Army Corps of Engineers. By the late 20th Century, the buildings were part of a residential neighborhood.
- Citation: Courtesy of the Florida State Archives
- Date Taken: 1941