Active Learning | Infusion Level | Language Arts
- Students will learn to use Pages for publishing a magazine.
- Students will learn to use a shared file.
- Students will learn to use a digital camera to load pictures, crop pictures and drop into a shared file.
- Students will learn to use a scanner to scan student art into a shared file for magazine publication.
- Students will engage in creative writing while taking the responsibility to publish the work in a magazine.
- Each student applies for and is offered a job at the magazine: Pre-AP CLASS. Each student is an editor of one department.
- One student in the photography dept. will be shown how to take pictures using a digital camera, open the pictures in iPhoto, crop the pictures, save the picture and drop it into a shared file. This student will then show the other 4 photographers how to do this procedure.
- The teacher will explain how to use Pages using the projector and teacher laptop. Students will then open the program and experiment with the program. The layout dept. for the magazine will begin designing the layout of the magazine.
- The editor of photography will scan the artwork submitted by the students. This artwork will be dropped into the shared folder for the layout dept. to utilize.
- Students will use Word to write their articles and submit them to the copy editor. She then returns the proofed articles to the students who make corrections and then drops them into the shared folder for the layout dept.
Sunshine State Standards
NETS Profiles for Technology Literate Students
- Use a variety of media and technology resources for directed and independent learning activities.
- Use developmentally appropriate multimedia resources (e.g., interactive books, educational software, elementary multimedia encyclopedias) to support learning.
- Work cooperatively and collaboratively with peers, family members, and others when using technology in the classroom.
- Use technology resources (e.g., puzzles, logical thinking programs, writing tools, digital cameras, drawing tools) for problem solving, communication, and illustration of thoughts, ideas, and stories.
- Digital Camera
- Projector and Laptop
Grade Level: 6-8